There she is finished and I am definitely quite happy with how she turned out. However, she was quite the headache to make, and there were new challenges because of size.
When the Avacyn Restored pre-release came about, I knew right away I would make the over-sized cards into a 3D alter. I acquired many of each of them and stored them away. It did not seem like most players really cared that much about the over-sized commanders (unless you had the $100 foil ones). They ended up being forgotten, and I ended up taking a break from all things Magic.
When I got back into the game, I also got back into making my 3D alters. However it was more of a casual and for fun hobby and not any type of business. When I got my plane ticket for GP Las Vegas, I decided I was going to try to make a name for myself as an alterist.
That brings me here, what better unique 3D then an over-sized commander!
First step I began cutting out the larger layers; her wings and body. This was mostly easy besides the staff she’s holding.
Next came the smaller parts, which except for the decorative belt, was definitely not too difficult. After everything is cut I take a ballpoint pen and blacken the sides of each piece. Getting into some of the thin areas can be impossible. This blackening was something I did not do when I first began making 3D alters, but has become the most important step to making the alter look professional.
Once complete, the glue begins. As you can see I don’t start with the background. The subject must be finished first, so I can analyze how many layers of depth I will want between the subject and background. Some backgrounds have layers themselves, which can get tricky and sometimes must be done first.
Once the subject is complete, then comes the extra layers. There needs to be a few before you can apply the top layer, so the small pieces are not above the full card. Very important in order to keep her from beign damaged easily.
Next came the most difficult part. I like to add a lot of depth in my alters, but I realized that I would not be able to simply take worthless cards cut out the art area and use those to layer. Interesting enough a standard card is the same height as the over-sized card’s width. This made the process not as painful as I feared. I had to estimate the best I could for some of it which caused very small gaps, as you can see on the left side. Then I added support to her body and wings and only had the background to add. I wish I could of given her a bit more depth, but with how the process went I did not want the sides to look cheap and have noticeable gaps.
I thought about other materials I could of used for depth, but I do not know any that would be strong enough, and not an eye sore from the sides.
Overall, I am very pleased with how she came out. Each layer of her is approximately $3 in value. Which brings her to about $30 before labor, etc. Either I will get to look at her and show her off for a long time, or someone will end up with the sweetest commander at their shop.
~ Tara ~